Tuesday 2 October 2012

A Mothers Love


Dear Aria,

Growing up me and your Ba Wai, didn't always get along. Especially during my teenage years. She was always holding me back, and I felt like her backward vietnamese way thinking annoying. Girls should be seen and not heard. We should know how to cook and clean, no man is going to marry you if you don't know how to do these things and on and on. What I didn't stop to realize was that she grew up differently. She was only doing her best, the only way she knew how, and I didn't understand it at that time. Sure, I do expect you to hate me as you gradually get older. Unfortunately, that's how teenagers are. I'm going to be that mean old lady that doesn't let you do anything fun. Hopefully, it'll be different and we'll have a good relationship. I didn't really appreciate your Ba Wai till I was in my twenties.

Now that I am on my way to being your mother, I want it to be different. I want you to able to come to me with your problems and that we can work it out together. I don't want to suffocate you, but I don't want to give you free reign either. I hope as you grow up, you'll understand that every generation is different, but a mothers love is always the same.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment